As we plunge into a new millenium scuba diving is well on the way to becoming one of the fastest growing recreational sports enjoyed by both the young and old. Divers travel thousands of miles to experience the amazing wonders of the underwater realm and where better than to the bio-diversity hotspot of Southern Asia - Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.
With its sandy beaches, tropical islands, blue waters, coral reefs and atolls, Sabah has several dive sites rated to be amongst the top ten in the world and many more yet to be truly explored.
Over the years many prominent marine biologists have visited and dived Sabah's waters, including oceans' greatest ambassador, Jacques Costeau. He commented 'I have seen other places like Sipadan, 45 years ago, but now no more. Now we have found again an untouched piece of art ... a jewel'.
In fact a diver may find rare or endangered sea creatures such as green and hawksbill turtles, napolean wrasse, giant clams, as well as countless species of sharks and schools of thousands of barracuda and jacks. Sabah is not only know for its reef's larger inhabitants but also as a 'Muck diving' paradise with such rarities as the mimic octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish mandarin fish, harlequin ghost pipefish plus manu types of weird and wonderful frogfish and nudibranchs.
These underwater delights are not restricted to the certified diver; snorkelers and hopeful divers may enroll in one of the many PADI affiliated dive courses run at any of Sabah's dive resorts. Whatever your underwater wish, Sabah's seas and coral reefs can easily fulfill and surpass your wildest dream.
- Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa - Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- Kapalai Island - Semporna
- Kelambu Beach - Kudat
- Lankayan Island - Sandakan
- Layang-Layang Island - Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- Libaran Island - Sandakan
- Mabul Island - Semporna
- Mantanani Island - Kota Belud
- Marine Park - Labuan F.T
- Mataking Island - Semporna
- Pom Pom Island - Semporna
- Pulau Tiga "Survivor Island" - Kuala Penyu
- Sipadan Island - Semporna
- Tun Sakaran Marine Park - Semporna
- Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- Turtle Island Park - Sandakan
- Usukan Cove - Kota Belud